SEG February 2018 Enews Update
Now that the SEG Roundup team is no longer at its table, the focus shifts back north (where it belongs) with Rock Talk in less than two weeks in Smithers and then Minerals North just down the road in Houston.
- Plans for SEG’s Rock Talk in Smithers on February 14 and 15 are rock solid. We’ll highlight our restored Classic Collection of Cordilleran Rock Suites with a workshop presented by former Northwest regional geologist Paul Wojdak on Wednesday the 14th in afternoon. Rock Talk on Thursday February 15 will feature a strong selection of new and updated northern projects.
- SEG’s annual general meeting and board election will follow the rock suites workshop from 4:30 to 5:30 on February 14
- Details on Engineers and Geoscientsts BC full day OQM Certification Training session in Smithers February 16
- Minerals North 2018 will be in Houston – BC of course – from April 25 to 27
Rock Talk 2018, February 14 and 15, Smithers
Rock Talk 2018 targets the industry in northern BC with project presentations on Thursday February 15, preceded by a half-day workshop on SEG’s Classic Collection of Cordilleran Rock Suites. Our Annual General Meeting will follow the workshop from 4:30 to 5:30 in the same location.
Click here for the brochure with details on all two days but here’s a short version of events in reverse order, starting with the traditional Rock Talk lineup which takes place on Thursday and then information on the Wednesday workshop.
Northern Project Updates and Geological Talks Thursday February 15
- Date: Thursday February 15
- Location: Smithers Curling Club
- Registration 8:00am to 9:00am
- Geological Talks and Project Updates 9:00am to 4:30 with breaks for coffee and lunch
- Cost: $50 – includes coffee breaks and lunch
- Reception and Curling 4:30pm to 6:00pm
Cordilleran Rock Suites Presentation Wednesday February 14
- Location: SEG Office, #101-3423 Fulton Avenue, Smithers BC
- Date: Wednesday February 14
- Time: 1:00pm to 3:30pm
- Reception: 3:30 to 4:30
- Cost: no cost
- Registration: email Paul Wojdak at email@example.com
Smithers Exploration Group (SEG) is launching its newly re-furbished Classic Collection of Cordilleran Rock Suites. The collection was begun in the 1970s by local geologists and prospectors, as well as the BC Ministry of Mines, and is being updated by former regional geologist Paul Wojdak and local geologist Lorie Farrell. The collection is organized, labelled and displayed in easily accessible trays, in a heated and well-lit facility. It’s an opportunity to examine samples from some of the region’s well-documented historic rock suites. It will also begin the process of expanding the collection to represent the region’s newer deposits.
There is no cost or formal registration for this event, but please notify Paul Wojdak at firstname.lastname@example.org if you intend to attend. Space is limited and your RSVP will assist in event planning.
SEG Annual General Meeting Wednesday February 14
Our annual general meeting will be 4:30pm to 5:30pm at SEG office directly following the Cordilleran Rock Suite Workshop and reception. If you’re interested in getting involved with SEG consider putting your name forward as a director. Contact email@example.com
OQGM Certification Training hosted by the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC Friday February 16
This full day OQM Certification Training session is for both individuals and representatives from organizations seeking or interested in OQM Certification. It is not officially part of Rock Talk but is scheduled for the convenience of people who want to attend both events.
It covers the seven quality management requirements in the Engineers and Geoscientist Act and Bylaws, and how to implement or adapt policies and procedures within your organization in order to become OQM Certified. The OQM Training Session qualifies for seven formal Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours. Register directly at https://www.egbc.ca/Events/Events/2018/18FEBOQ1
Note: Attendees do not need to be members of Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- Location: Prestige Hudson Bay Lodge
- Address: 3251 East Highway 16, Smithers
- Feb 16: OQM Certification Training
SEG lookback at Roundup 2018
SEG was front and centre at AME Roundup 2018 with a presence at the regional group tables and the Prospectors Tent. We gave out hundreds of the ever-popular SEG directory and promoted the September golf tournament with a draw for a trip to Smithers for the game. Thanks to local supporters: Central Mountain Air, Northwest Truck Rental, Sunshine Inn and SilverKing Helicopters.
SEG was represented at various meetings with government and other regional groups, including a special session on the province’s new reclamation bond calculator. Thanks to Jill Pardoe for help with that. FYI the BC overview presented by the Ministry of Energy and Mines featured 5 BC projects, 4 of which are in northwest BC. I also spoke with various MEMPR people about the pressing need for a regional geologist in northwest BC.
And as I said in last month’s newsletter, the northwest captured a lot of attention at AME’s awards gala with both Pretivm and Seabridge acknowledged by the industry for work on Brucejack and KSM respectively.