SEG February 2019 Enews Update
We’re busy at SEG getting ready for Rock Talk 2019 in only two weeks. What a line-up and a couple of high tech surprises – stay tuned.
- Rock Talk 2019 launches on February 20 and 21 in Smithers. It will feature an extraordinary exploration case study of the northwest with Don MacIntyre, JoAnne Nelson and Tom Richards laying the groundwork (no pun intended) and GT Gold VP Exploration Charlie Greig describing the details how they zeroed in Tatogga hole TTD093. Plus a lightning round of other northern BC projects.
- SEG’s annual general meeting will take place during Rock Talk on Wednesday February 20 at 5 pm at the Rock Room.
- That was another great Roundup!
- Save the Date…..Friday May 10th is Mining Month luncheon in Smithers.
- AME is conducting a Professional Reliance Discussion Forum February 12 in Vancouver
Keep us informed if your email address is going to change. Just drop a note to email@example.com . If you know someone who would be interested in receiving SEG information, please let us know. We’ll check to see if they want to be on the receiving end of our news blasts.
Rock Talk 2019 February 20 and 21 Smithers
Rock Talk 2019 in Smithers is bringing together some of the names that have contributed to making northwest BC one of the most important mining camps in BC.
- February 20: Dig into Babine-Nechako mineralized belts with regional experts Tom Richards and Don MacIntyre
- February 21: Map the Golden Triangle with JoAnne Nelson and then drill down into GT Gold’s Saddle discoveries with Charlie Greig
- February 21: Sample other exciting exploration projects in northern BC
All of this expertise will be presented with access to SEG's fabulous collection of Cordilleran Rock Suites. Tom, Don, JoAnne and Charlie bring it all home in two not-to-be-missed workshops with rocks, core and maps.
As an added bonus before the actual presentations begin, SEG is offering one-on-one time with two of the geologists who laid the foundations of the SEG rock suites. Tom and Don have generously offered the opportunity to go through the rocks with folks who show up on Wednesday morning at 10 am.
And the price for all of this? For $100 you get two workshops, updates on key northern BC projects, all lunches and coffee breaks, two receptions, new SEG cap and all the rocks you want to look at. Check the brochure for preliminary program details.
SEG appreciates the incredible support it has received for Rock Talk from the following sponsors:
- Coast Mountain GM
- Extreme Signs and Stripes
- Highland Helicopters
- Hy-Tech Drilling
- Imdex Ltd.
- Jade First Aid & Safety
- Matrix Camps, Logistics & Aviation
- Mudman Environmental & Logistics
- Northwest Truck Rentals
- Outrider Contracting
- Polar Ridge Resources
- P&R Exploration Services
- Randy’s Image Design
- Seabridge Gold
- Smithers Lumber Yard
- Revolution Diamond Drilling
- Treeline Wood Products Ltd.
See you in Smithers February 20 and 21.
Smithers Exploration Group Annual General Meeting Wednesday February 20 Smithers
We’ll pause during Rock Talk for SEG’s Annual General Meeting with the 2018 financial report and an opportunity to sign up for various committees.
- Event: SEG Annual General Meeting
- Date: Wednesday February 20
- Time: 5 to 6pm
- Location: SEG Rock Room 1 – 3423 Fulton Ave, Smithers BC
Roundup 2019 review
SEG had lots of exposure at Roundup with 2 days at our regional table, thanks to AME, plus networking at the technical sessions and the trade show. We gave out 500 directories, so the message that northern-based suppliers can meet all the needs of the BC minerals industry is out there.
Thanks as usual to everyone who helped with preparations, got us to Vancouver and spread the word about Rock Talk 2019 and the Rock Room. Thanks especially to Barry McCallum who chaired the committee and Laird Ongman at Bandstra who made sure our directories and promotional stuff made it to Vancouver.
Mining Month Luncheon Friday May 10 Smithers
Once Rock Talk is finished and then PDAC and KEG, it will time to turn our thoughts to the Merry Mining Month of May. In Smithers, the Smithers District Chamber of Commerce will team up with Smithers Exploration Group for a luncheon Friday May 10th at the Prestige Hudson Bay Lodge. Watch for details on the program and tickets in your inbox by early April.
AME Professional Reliance Discussion Forum February 12 Vancouver
The Association for Mineral Exploration will be holding a discussion forum on Tuesday February 12 from 10:00 to 1:00 at its Vancouver office to obtain member input on the professional reliance intentions paper (see below). This will be held in collaboration with Engineers and Geoscientists BC and the Association of Consulting Engineering Companies BC.
Please contact Rob Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-630-3926 if you are interested in participating.
In November 2018, the BC Government passed the Professional Governance Act. This new legislation establishes the Office of the Superintendent of Professional Governance and sets governance standards across five professional regulators including for engineering and geoscience, forestry, agrology, applied biology, and applied science technology. The act will come into force over the next few years as regulations are developed.
The BC Government has also released an Intentions paper outlining several key areas for regulation development and is seeking feedback until March 4. See here: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/professionalreliance/. The areas of interest are:
Practice Rights of Professionals
Regulation of Firms
Declarations of Competency and Conflict of Interest
These regulations will be important to any AME members with a professional designation, or anyone working for a firm that employs professionals.