SEG March 2017 Enews Update
- We have a couple of updates to start off this newsletter from Smithers Exploration Group: First, a farewell to Jeff Kyba as the Northwest Regional Geologist and second, a change at the SEG board with a big thanks to Rob Maurer (see above) who has stepped down as president of SEG.
- Now to your calendar…if you’re in Smithers you’ll want to mark Friday March 10 for Rocks ‘n Rambling.
- Then if you didn’t get your SEG directory at Roundup, watch for them at PDAC March 5-8 in Toronto at AME and MEM booths, KEG April 4 and 5 in Kamloops at the CJL booth, and Minerals North April 25-27 in Prince George.
- May will also be a busy month. The provincial election is May 9 and we encourage you to Vote Mining. Then it’s Mining Week and SEG along with the Smithers District Chamber of Commerce will host a Mining Week luncheon on Friday May 12 in Smithers in advance of Mining Week.
Thanks from SEG
Thanks to Jeff Kyba and Rob Maurer from Smithers Exploration Group. Jeff has left the position of Northwest Regional Geologist to work in the private sector. He’ll maintain his base in Smithers but will be working in the field – land and water-based. Good luck and thanks, Jeff. Howard Davies, Regional Director with the Ministry of Energy and Mines thanks Jeff for his time with MEM during Rock Talk 2017. We also want to thank Rob Maurer for his three years of leadership at president of SEG. Rob remains on the SEG board as a director and I’ll fill his shoes as president this year.
Rocks ‘n Rambling, Friday March 10
SEG’s Rocks ‘n Rambling will be in 10 days on Friday March 10 at 4:30 at Rugged Edge office in Smithers.
- Date: Friday March 10
- Time: 4:30 to 6:30 pm
- Place: Rugged Edge 3405 19th Avenue
As usual RnR is a chance to get together to look over some rocks and exchange war stories.
Rock Talk 2017 Review
Rock Talk attracted a great crowd for presentations and a ski day. Geologists and prospectors spent two-half day sessions looking at the KSM and Red Mountain deposits with core and maps. The board and executive for 2017/18 are:
- President – Christine Ogryzlo
- Vice President – Jordan Eller
- Secretary – Allie Glavina
- Treasurer – Stephanie McGuinnes
- Rob Boyce
- Jessie Chaplin
- Tlell Glover
- Kyler Hardy
- Judi L’Orsa
- Rob Maurer
- Mike Sanborn
- Barry McCallum
- Elaine Konschuh - Directory Manager
- Lorie Farrell - Outreach Administrator
Thanks to Andrea Ross who has stepped off the SEG board. The minutes from the agm will posted on the website shortly.
SEG Directories at KEG, Minerals North and PDAC
SEG’s annual directory is the most complete listing for the mineral exploration industry in northern BC. If you didn’t get a directory at Roundup or Rock Talk, we’re making it easy to get one at the various events coming up in BC – KEG in Kamloops and Minerals North in Prince George, as well as PDAC in Toronto at the AME booth 3242 snd BCGS/MEM booth 631. Thanks everyone for your help in getting the directories distributed.
KEG in Kamloops, April 4 and 5
Congratulations to Kamloops Exploration Group on 30 years as one of the province’s key exploration events – KEG. This year’s conference is April 4 and 5 in Kamloops. Check out the KEG website for details http://www.keg.bc.ca/conference/default.htm
Minerals North 2017 in Prince George,April 25-27
Minerals North 2017 returns to Prince George this year on April 25-27 after being there in 2010. For all the information on accommodation and program details check out their website at
Vote Mining, Tuesday May 9
Several industry organizations in the province are launching a conversation about the minerals industry as we head into a provincial election on May 9. We encourage you to talk with the candidates for all parties in your riding to ask about positions on the mineral exploration and mining industries. Vote Mining has set up a website at http://www.votemining.ca/ where you will find information on the industry and its importance to the province.
Mining Week Luncheon with SEG and Smithers Chamber of Commerce, May 12, Prestige Hudson Bay Lodge in Smithers
On Friday May 12 Smithers Exploration Group and the Smithers Chamber of Commerce will kick off BC Mining Week 2017 with a luncheon to highlight the minerals industry and its importance to the local economy. It's all part Mining Week 2017 which is the following week May 15 - 19. Details on the agenda and tickets will be available in mid-March.