SEG October 2015 Enews Update
After a busy couple of months, it’s good to have a couple of months to catch our breath. But Smithers Exploration Group still has a couple of events you can add to your calendar. The first Rocks ‘n Rambling of the fall/winter is scheduled for this Friday October 2; pencil in Saturday December 5 for the SEG Christmas party; and thanks to the golfers and buyers who made the golf tournament and the SEG auction successes. Thanks also to Bruce Hobson for his photo of the golf crew above.
Rocks ‘n Rambling
Friday October 2
The October Rocks ‘n Rambling is this coming Friday October 2. It’s your chance for a little socializing and chatting about rocks and projects.
- Date: Friday October 2
- Time: 4:30 pm to 6:30pm
- Place: Eagle Peak Resources Inc./Metal Mountain office at 3431 19th Ave in Smithers
Bring your thoughts on the industry and any interesting rocks you may have come across in the summer.
Saturday December 5
I know it’s far too soon to be talking about Christmas….but all you have to do is pencil in the date. Join us on Saturday December 5 to kick off the festive season. Details for tickets etc. will be available in mid-November.
2015 Golf tournament a success
The annual SEG golf tournament and supper brought out an enthusiastic gang of 43 golfers for a day on the links and supper. Sharon Bruns was awarded the Joyce Warren memorial trophy for her years of volunteering at events. Laird Ongman was presented with the Jerry Auger trophy for having the most fun golfing, dining and visiting.
SEG would like to thank the following sponsors for their support of the annual golf game:
AMC North America
Apex Diamond Drilling
Bulkley Valley Credit Union
Bulkley Valley Wholesale
Bureau Veritas Minerals Laboratory
Central Mountain Air
Coast Mountain Gm
Di-Corp Mineral Exploration
Driftwood Diamond Drilling
Hayden Diamond Bit Industries
Hetherington and Hooper
MBI Pacific Drilling Products
Mcelhanney Consulting Services
Oscars Source For Adventure
Polar Ridge Resources
Pretivm Resources Inc
Rugged Edge Holdings
Silver King Helicopters
SPS Mining Supplies
Treeline Wood Products 2014 Ltd
SEG Auction attracts a crowd
Smithers Exploration Group wants to thank all the people who came out to our auction on September 19. A special thanks to Judi L’Orsa for organizing the sale and Kerr’s Auction for the patter that kept the sales going strong.
Outreach Summer Report
Smithers Exploration Group continues to provide information on the minerals industry through its Outreach program to a wide range of people across the northwest. Outreach is funded through the Association for Mineral Exploration BC which provides an annual grant to regional exploration groups around the province. Lorie Farrell co-ordinates SEG’s Outreach events. Over the summer they included:
- Anastasia Ledwon P. Geo. visited the grade 7 class in Telkwa to talk about being a geologist, show them how to use a topo map, GPS and compass.
- The Main Street Festival is hosted by the Smithers Downtown Merchants and includes lots of fun activities including car painting, lego races, live music, bike jumps, a human hamster wheel, various food vendors and a SEG booth run by Lorie Farrell P. Geo. & Rob Boyce P. Geo. where people could bring a rock to find out what it was in addition to seeing other rocks, minerals and finding out uses of mined materials.
- GeoCrawl was launched at the Main Street Festival and is a brochure that SEG made up that has a map & GPS locations of different mined materials, there are 10 stations and people need to answer a question at each station. If they return the brochure, they get entered in a draw for a prize
- SEG had a booth run by Lorie Farrell, Peter and Chris Ogryzlo at the Granisle Canada Day Celebration and Community Market
- SEG also had a booth at the Bulkley Valley Fall Fair in Smithers in August which drew hundreds of people.